Wednesday, December 1, 2010

God's and Heroes:Rome Rising another revived IP

Hey Closet'teers,

Remember the game Gods and Heroes: Rome Rising? A game originally developed by Perpetual Entertainment? Yes, yes the same company that started to develop Star Trek Online, put Gods and Heroes on hold and then went bust. It's like an artist painting an emotionally beautiful landscape never to be seen or an author spinning tales that could capture your heart and soul but is never read.

Well in case you have not heard, Heatwave Interactive, a game development studio and online publisher located in Austin, Texas has obtained the rights to develop and release the property earlier this year.

I spent some time in the early beta under Perpetual and was excited where they were heading. My first impressions of the combat dynamics were 3 letters “OMG”. At the time of development, combat in our MMO verse was anti-climatic. We had decent enough combat animations which ranged from a particle flash to limited physics, the head bob, you know....Newtons Law or laws (To every action there is always an equal and opposite reaction) there are actually three laws but I digress, this isn’t a physics lesson. Gods and Heroes had taken this to the next level for MMO's.

I had always thought that combat animations should be similar to the days of Tekken or Street Fighter, more excitement for the encounter. For me Gods and Heroes somewhat delivered that adrenaline rush.

See below for an early development example, courtesy of IGN





I realize there is more to any MMO than just combat animation or physics but I hope that Heatwave is adding and not subtracting as they continue to work on this property. I had the opportunity to participate in the “Gods and Heroes Dev Chats”

...below is the result




I will most definitely be keeping an eye on this as well as trying to participate in the Beta. Plus I will be covering this on Wednesday nights Show on GNET as well as my Friday show with Blade Radio
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: