Friday, October 8, 2010

Making money because it's free...

The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of AngmarImage via WikipediaLord of the Rings Online Executive Producer announced that they have doubled their revenue since changing over to "Free to Play", the technical term is "hybrid micro transactions-based business model".

Turbine has done very well with both products, Dungeons and Dragons Online and now LotRO. This is the perfect answer to all of those that wish to play several games at their own pace and not having to commit to a monthly payment. It seems to be more palatable to spend $3.00 for game content in a 60 day period or even some cool cosmetic piece of gear that all the cool Dwarfs are wearing these days.
Yes, we will spend money because that is our nature.

Now don't misunderstand, LotRO can be played without spending a dime. As you complete certain quests or Deeds your rewards are Turbine points(in game currency) and this can be used too purchase content as you level your character. In all of the MMO's I have experienced over the years there is one thing I have noticed, I have never completed all of the in game content that was available.

Keeping up with the crew, friends, family, my game junkie wife (now that was a match made over a board and dice game) we would out level the area, get bored with the scenery and want to see something new. The result was always the same, unfinished content. LotRO for free means devouring every morsel of content that the developers have provided. Your bouncy little Hobbit or brutish dwarf will have to drain each game play area dry.

A new revelation for me but known to everyone else. The content is supposed to be experienced. Every little story, event and breathless moment is to be enjoyed. Thats why they spent the time in writing it. This has created a new focus for me and my little Hobbit lady who follows me everywhere. Free or not, lets stop and smell the roses and feast on everything the games have to offer.

With the success that Turbine has had with D&D Online and LotRO I hope that other companies will follow suit. I can think of several games I would still be in if there was a "hybrid micro transactions-based business model". For now we will just enjoy our time in LotRO besides, my wifes Hobbit is so hot.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: