Wednesday, July 28, 2010

"FTP" it could have saved them all


If you haven’t heard by now then you are just not paying attention. Of course this would be true if you are an avid gamer, a follower of the “Whats New”, one who has their pulse on the industry or simply a player of Everquest II. The inter-webs were flowing with the Free to play announcement by SOE. Yes it's true...cows do fly...

Now I don’t have a real strong opinion on a FTP service. For that type of debate, rant, zerg, you would need to head over to the EQII forums for a solid serving from both camps. However I do have one small thought just from the many people I have met over the years. Through many adventures in the on line gaming world, in a pay to play MMO environment, I have seen the extremes of how people play the game.

I know there are many levels but there are only 2 ends of the spectrum. The 60 hour a week energy boosted, king of all that he surveys and the Saturday night 3 hour lifer, who is still level 26. Of course the bottom line is, regardless of how a gamer games, “is it fun”.. .this brings me to my point. This would be for all those people I've met who gave up the game, because the 3 hours a week didn’t make sense at $15.00 a month. I don’t know anything that is worth doing for $5 an hour.....and be legal.

Free to Play is a great option for those with limited time and what I have seen so far, there is enough to keep “Mr 3 hours a week” busy gaming for a long time.

I give this latest endeavor of SOE 3.5 stars, 4 stars if they would move that damn “Upgrade Pop-Up” from the center of the screen.

No comments: